Sunday 4 October 2015

As an English teacher, I frequently emphasised the importance of 'subtext' - which in today's vernacular sounds like a hidden or underwater text message.
Subtext is vital in understanding literature, grasping the real meaning under the surface of the story.
I have found the same applies in life.  What lies behind an action is far more significant than the action itself.  A furious argument between two people can look like contempt and anger, but is really an expression of their interest in each other, if not mutual attraction.


A friend of mine's son, when he was 15 years old, complained to me that his mother was too worried about him all the time.  This used to bother me when I was his age, and I'm sure that it still irritates thousands of adolescents.  It took me quite a while to see that the opposite of concern is neglect.  Kids whose parents couldn't care less what they do, are sending the child a terrible message, one that will reverberate throughout their lives.
In an extreme example of this, a serial killer once said:
"When I was young, nobody cared at all about me, so I grew up not caring about anybody else."
This is not a simplistic excuse for his actions, but is perhaps the beginning of an understanding of why such people exist.
A parent's concern might be annoying and seemingly restrictive to a child, but the subtext of concern is a caring and loving attitude - and that goes for all our close relationships in life.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am gratified by your comments on my blog. Hardly anyone reads it, and fewer still agree with it. I would love to know what Global Schools in India is all about.

      Delete
  2. I read your whole article and, I find it influenced and informative. I like the way you write the article. It exactly define the difference between study and education. I also provide quite similar information like you did. I would like if check out my website too. It contains amazing content and quite interesting articles. here is the link: NEET coaching class in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete